Boo! It’s almost Halloween! Don’t let the title or ghost cup fool you, this is one amazing delicious shake. If cake batter and fruit salad had a baby, this shake would be it!
I’ve been drinking them each morning, as I’ve been busy making my daughter’s Halloween costume. She is going as a mini Audrey Hepburn this year. It’s almost done and is SO cute, I can’t wait!
Anyways, here is probably one of the best smoomoos….aka smoothie/shake I’ve ever made. By the way, if you haven’t read from one of my previous smoothie recipes, we call them smoomoos in my house. That is what my 2 year old calls them, so that has become our name for them. It is more fun to say “smoomoo” anyway.
Of course, this can be a daily smoomoo, I just made it really red and Halloween themed for this post.
So, back to this shake. This thing is LOADED with antioxidant goodness. Tons of berry flavor and to round it off with the best vanilla protein powder and flavor make it a very healthy, hearty and absolutely delicious breakfast. Like for real, I was dying when I was drinking it.
It has a strong fruity flavor and a gourmet flavor from all the vanilla. Using vanilla bean in it takes it to a whole new level. If vanilla and berry doesn’t sound good to you, then this shake isn’t for you.
I use Epic Protein powder, which I will be doing a review and giveaway soon on the blog. I just started using this protein powder this past month after using a very well known brand and it is without a doubt, the best I’ve found with absolutely NO bad additives. It is brown rice protein powder, which can be so gritty. I have found Epic to be the smoothest on the market. I just fell in love. More on that in a later post. Feel free to use your favorite vanilla protein powder if you don’t have Epic and want to make this shake right away!
Scary Berry Vanilla Protein Shake
- 10 oz bag organic frozen strawberries
- 3/4 cup organic frozen dark cherries
- 1/4 cup organic frozen wild blueberries
- 1 large handful spinach optional
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 scoop high quality vanilla protein powder Vega French Vanilla, it is to die for!
- 1/2 vanilla bean I highly recommend using the bean, but if you want to use vanilla extract, try 1/4 teaspoon and adjust to your taste
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- Cut the vanilla bean and scrape 1/2 or all of the seeds out, depending on how strong you want the vanilla flavor. You can try vanilla extract, it just won't be quite as authentic. Try the vanilla bean!
- Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until very smooth, scraping the sides as needed. Here is a tip, if your blender has a little trouble blending the frozen fruit, let it sit in the blender for about 10 minutes to thaw some, then blend. Do not add extra water, as this will dilute the flavor.
Am I the only one who enjoys drinking things when they are in really festive, cute mugs or cups? I swear it makes things more fun and taste better! I know this cup is supposed to be scary, but I honestly found this guy super cute. Guess I’m a total weirdo….