Learn how to make the most delicious 20 Minute Vegan Alfredo that will blow away all your guests, shock them that it is dairy-free! Rich, creamy, decadent and just 7 ingredients and without any butter or oil!
20 MINUTE VEGAN ALFREDO
Sometimes the most amazing recipes happen as the result of impromptu recipes. This recipe is one of those times. I was planning on making my Best Vegan Garlic Alfredo for dinner one night, but realized I was too low on cashews (gasp!) and out of lemon juice. So, I decided to just throw together some ingredients and wing it with what I had and holy moly, this one turned out richer and sooo amazing. I double dare you to make this for somebody (don’t tell them it’s not full of butter or cream) and tell me they don’t love it. While I love my original (it’s the most popular recipe on the blog).
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ALFREDO
First you need to gather the ingredients to make this vegan alfredo:
- cashew butter
- vegetable broth
- brown rice flour
- apple cider vinegar
- some dried Italian herbs
- garlic powder
- nutritional yeast
It’s quite different than my original, which uses a lot of cooked onions and garlic, this one does not. But this one with the rice flour makes it so creamy. My husband scarfed it down SO fast and said “this is the best you’ve ever made”. We both debated on me calling it “Restaurant Style Alfredo”. It is just that good.
You will start out by adding the cashew butter, brown rice flour, apple cider vinegar, Italian herbs, nutritional yeast, salt and just blend them up in your blender. I used my Vitamix.
Add them to a pan and it will be very thin (like water), as in the above picture, but after just a few minutes of cooking, it will turn out creamy and fabulous like this.
I’m not kidding that it comes together in 20 minutes. It took exactly 19 minutes to do the pasta from start to finish and only 12-15 minutes for the sauce.
This is also perfect for all of you that don’t have high powered blenders needed for raw cashews in so many sauces.
This alfredo sauce is so healthy, gluten-free and 100% oil-free. It is also just 8 ingredients (+salt).
I will be dying to hear what you all think of this amazing 20 Minute Vegan Alfredo!! Please, please come leave feedback below and star rate it after you make it.
20 Minute Vegan Alfredo
FOR THE PASTA
- 14 oz bag pasta of choice
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups (480g) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (64g) RAW cashew butter with NO added oil (OR a heaping 1/2 cup (same weight) raw, unsalted cashews (See Note)
- 2 teaspoons (10g) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (16g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons 20g brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional: 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- optional: any veggies you may want to add
- If you are using raw cashews and you don't have a high-powered blender, then you must soak them overnight in a bowl of water, drain and rinse. Otherwise, your result will be gritty and NOT creamy. A food processor usually works better with soaked cashews versus a blender that isn't very powerful.
- I no longer use nutritional yeast in this recipe since it causes gout in my husband and headaches in my daughter, so if you also need to avoid yeast, this recipe still is just as delicious. I highly recommend the low-sodium veggie broth by Trader Joe's, if possible. The flavor is phenomenal. Slightly increase the garlic powder and add a heaping half teaspoon of onion powder.
- Follow each step closely to have this ready in 20 minutes. You will first need to start your pasta before the sauce. Add 12 cups of very hot water to a large pot and put the lid on (it will come to a boil faster). Turn to high heat and let it come to a boil. Mine took about 10 minutes before it was boiling (yours may be faster). Once it's boiling add the pasta and salt and quickly stir it around to loosen it up. The salt is important because it flavors the pasta. Cook for 9 minutes or until al dente. Yours will vary depending on the pasta used.
- While waiting on the water to boil, add all the "alfredo sauce" ingredients to a blender. Blend until very smooth. It will be very runny, don't worry as it will thicken up a lot when cooking.
- Check your water to see if boiling yet.
- Add the sauce to a large pan over high heat. Once it starts bubbling all over, immediately turn to medium-low heat and whisk continually while letting it cook 3-4 minutes until thickened. You want to continually whisk around the bottom and sides, so the flour doesn't clump. Don't walk away from it! You don't want to overcook because it will thicken up a lot as it cools. Add any veggies if you like. I sometimes add peas and carrots from the freezer and let them cook a minute in the sauce.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and rinse with water to stop the cooking. Brown rice pasta can stick really badly, so I rinse really well and serve immediately. If using regular gluten pasta, you don't need to rinse it. Add to a plate, then add the sauce and garnish with extra dried Italian herbs or red pepper flakes or anything else you like.