The absolute Best Vegan 7 Layer Dip featuring my popular crowd-pleasing best vegan queso, homemade easy refried bean dip, chunky salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, green onions and black olives! Easy to make and so delicious!
VEGAN 7 LAYER DIP
Growing up, one of my mom’s favorite dishes that she made was her incredible 7 layer dip! I used to sit at the table and just go to town on that stuff. Since becoming vegan, it has been years since I’ve had that dip and oh boy, I have missed it!
But not anymore, I recreated it using my reader favorite Best Vegan Queso in place of the cheese and my own refried bean dip and it’s just as fabulous as ever! This will serve a crowd, no matter how big or small it is or just your family, it will get devoured.
It is plant-based, oil-free, nutritious and packed with delicious layers of flavor in every bite!
Here are the 7 main ingredients needed for this vegan 7 layer dip. Full recipe and details on recipe card below.
- Homemade Best Vegan Queso: My cheesy best vegan queso is title the best for a reason. It is one of my most popular recipes of all-time and deemed the absolute best ever by readers. This dip isn’t complete without it. The best part is it only takes about 5 minutes to make!
- Guacamole: Use your favorite either store-bought or homemade. I used store-bought to make it easy. I like both the Kroger brand and the brand I found at Whole Foods.
- Refried beans: You can use either my super quick & easy version listed below or my homemade refried bean dip instead for a healthier, even more flavorful, option. Both will work!
- Salsa: Use a chunky one, otherwise the dip will get too runny.
- Tomatoes: Adding chopped tomatoes on top gives lovely color and freshness in every bite.
- Black olives
- Green onions: For a lovely fresh bite on top!
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN SEVEN LAYER DIP
Step 1: Prepare the vegan queso the day before or a couple of hours early in the day so it has time to thicken/chill in the fridge. I suggest making it the day before and it also saves times the day of assembly for serving to guests.
Step 2: Prepare the refried beans. If you are using canned, follow the recipe card below of what spices to mix in the canned beans to give them more flavor. Or, use my homemade refried bean dip.
Step 3: Layer the refried bean dip on the bottom of a 2 quart rectangular or larger round dish. This is equivalent to a larger round dish or an 8×8 square dish. This is not the equivalent of a 9×13 rectangular dish.
Step 4: Spread out the salsa. It helps to drop large spoonfuls sporadically first and then spread it out.
Step 5: Spread the guacamole out carefully onto the salsa.
Step 6: Spread out the queso on top of the guacamole.
Step 7: Lastly, top with the diced tomatoes, green onions and black olives.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
The best part of this recipe is that everything can be made ahead of time except the guacamole. That way, the day of serving, you only have to assemble everything, which is rather quick. You can make the queso, refried bean dip and chop the tomatoes and green onions the day before. It saves so much time!
Do not make the guacamole early, as it will turn brown. If using store-bought, obviously don’t open the container until right before assembling.
This recipe makes enough for a 2 quart dish. If you want a large 9×13 casserole dish, then you will need to do 1 1/2 times of the recipe.
MORE VEGAN PARTY FOODS
- Vegan BBQ Hummus
- Buffalo Hummus
- Pimento Cheese Dip
- Easy Vegan Mexican Cheese Dip
- Smoky Jalapeno Black Bean Dip
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Easy Homemade Salsa
Best Vegan 7 Layer Dip
- 1 batch of my best vegan queso
- One 15oz can refried beans (see below OR make my homemade refried bean dip)
- 2 cups (544g) guacamole (Use a homemade version or I just used store-bought. See NOTES at the bottom)
- 1 cup (240g) medium heat chunky salsa (I used the 365 Whole Foods brand)
- diced tomatoes
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4-1/2 cup black olives
QUICK REFRIED BEAN DIP
- One 15 oz can plain refried beans (mine had no oil and no seasonings, just salt)
- Spices: 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, S&P
- 1/4 cup (60g) water
- 1 tablespoon (15g) fresh lime juice
- I suggest to prepare the vegan queso the day before or several hours early so it has time to thicken/chill in the fridge. I suggest making it the day before and it also saves times the day of assembly for serving to guests. You will be using the entire queso recipe for this dip.I also suggest making the refried bean dip ahead as well. Doing this will make the day of layering the dip very quick! Prepare the dip a couple of hours before you want to serve it so it can chill and firm up a bit before serving.
- Prepare the refried beans. You can use either my homemade refried bean dip (very delicious!) or make this easy quick version. To make the quick version, add the can of beans to a large bowl. Add all of the spices, water and lime juice. Mash several minutes with a form until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, you can blend this up in a food processor which will make it more creamy and smooth! Add salt and pepper to taste. This can greatly vary depending on how much salt your can of beans has.
- Refer to post for visual steps. Layer the refried bean dip on the bottom of a 2 quart rectangular or larger round dish. This is equivalent to a larger round dish or an 8x8 square dish. This is not the equivalent of a 9x13 rectangular dish, which is too large.
- Make sure you are using a very chunky salsa or it'll make the dip too watery. If yours is runny, I'd suggest draining it. Spread out the salsa on top of the refried beans. It helps to drop large spoonfuls sporadically first and then spread it out.
- Spread the guacamole out carefully onto the salsa by dropping large amounts around first before spreading.
- Spread out the queso on top of the guacamole.
- Add the tomatoes, green onions and black olives all over the top.
- Place the dip in the fridge for about an hour or so to chill and firm up a bit before serving. Serve with chips!
The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy here.