This Vegan Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is rich and unique in flavor by using both sweet and gold potatoes. Easy to make, just 8 ingredients and is dairy-free and oil-free.
Sometimes, the most delicious recipes can be the simplest. Potato soup is simple, but so comforting, especially during the holidays, don’t you agree? This vegan creamy sweet potato soup recipe uses both sweet potatoes and yukon gold potatoes….the combo is so delicious. The yukon gold potatoes lend a buttery taste. Super simple, few ingredients and so delicious. Bonus that it is dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free and ready in less than an hour. There is nothing I enjoy eating more than soup!
This oil-free creamy potato soup gets an extra boost of flavor and nutrition from the yukon gold potatoes. Most people know how good sweet potatoes are for you…but did you also know that yukon gold potatoes are an excellent source of nutrition?
ARE POTATOES HEALTHY?
Potatoes way too often get a bad rap for being unhealthy because they are a carb. But, fear not, potatoes have some amazing health benefits. Now come on, the carbs that are in potatoes are hardly the equivalent of carbs in junk food or sugary desserts. Remember, there are healthy carbs and unhealthy carbs. Here is why potatoes are the good carbs:
- Source of iron
- Great source of fiber
- High in potassium (1 medium potato contains about 770 mg)
- High in Vitamin C (1 medium potato contains about 50% of our daily RDA! Vitamin C is also needed to absorb iron into the body)
- Fat-free (yippee!)
- Filling and satisfying
Yay for healthy soup that tastes amazing, thick and creamy!
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN SWEET POTATO SOUP?
For this super delicious Vegan Creamy Sweet Potato Soup, you’ll need:
- yukon gold potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- white onion
- low sodium vegetable broth
- tomato paste
- nutritional yeast
Let me know what you think of this Vegan Creamy Sweet Potato Soup!
Other Delicious Potato Soups:
This recipe was originally posted in February 2014 and has been slightly updated.
Vegan Creamy Sweet Potato Soup (Oil-free)
- 1 3/4 lbs peeled and chopped yukon gold yellow potatoes, about 5 heaping cups (plus a couple extra for toasting as garnish)
- 2 lbs peeled and chopped sweet potatoes about 6 heaping cups (plus 2 extra potatoes for garnish)
- 1 packed cup 160g white onion, finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves minced (about a tablespoon)
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons 30g tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast adds a mild cheesy taste, can omit if desired (I only use thesari yeast brand-it's non-fortified and doesn't have a nasty vitamin taste)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt to taste
Optional: chopped green onions for garnish
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add the potatoes and minced garlic to a large pot.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and once boiling, turn to low and cover. Simmer for 20-25 mins, or until the potatoes are completely tender. Blend with an immersion blender to a creamy consistency. Or you can use a regular blender, just don't blend it too long into a complete liquid. Taste and add any more salt if desired.
- When the soup has about 10 minutes left, chop up a couple more yukon gold potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces and broil them until golden brown (5-10 mins) and garnish the soup with them. I love the texture it added. Top with green onions. So good!