Learn how to make Easy Vegan Refried Bean Dip with just 6 ingredients and 15 minutes! This dip is smooth, creamy and perfect for parties like the Super Bowl and is healthy, low-fat and oil-free!
Today, I’m going to show you how to make a delicious Vegan Refried Bean Dip! When I was a kid, I ate that Frito Lays bean dip with fritos so much, it was borderline obsessive, therefore, I had to create a healthy version. I absolutely love that dip. I love all beans, but something about pinto beans is just like the best bean flavor ever to me.
Well, this vegan refried bean dip is so much healthier and totally oil-free! It’s a great way to get in your Daily Dozen too! You can eat it as is, cold, or heat it up like a true refried bean dish.
With the Super Bowl coming up soon, we all gravitate toward dips and appetizers, but we all want them to be easy and quick. Party dips and appetizers don’t have to mean greasy fried junk.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN FRITO LAY BEAN DIP?
According to the label, it contains pinto beans, vinegar, corn oil, salt, maltodextrin, dried onion, sugar, jalapeno peppers, spices and natural flavors.
Therefore, not terribly unhealthy, however I don’t want the oil, maltodextrin (food additive) or “natural flavors”, thank you very much.
For my vegan version, you will need 6 simple ingredients to make:
- pinto beans
- medium heat salsa
- pickled jalapenos
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- coconut sugar (found at any grocery store, Walmart, Target, etc. right next to regular sugar)
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN REFRIED BEAN DIP
First, you will need a food processor. Secondly, you will start out by adding the drained and rinsed pinto beans to a food processor.
Add the salsa, pickled jalapeno slices, onion powder, garlic powder, coconut sugar and salt. Blend for about 5 minutes, scraping the sides a couple of times during, until completely smooth and creamy.
Taste and add more salt if needed, which will depend on your beans. If you want it spicier, add more jalapenos. If you want it true refried bean style, you can choose to heat up the mashed bean mixture in the microwave up or bake it in a dish until hot. Honestly, I just ate it straight out of the food processor. Haha.
So easy, right?! That’s it.
Get some chips and get to dipping!
Want more easy vegan party dips?
- Best Vegan Queso
- Spicy Buffalo White Bean Hummus
- Oil-free Barbecue White Bean Hummus
- Smoky Jalapeno Black Bean Dip
- Avocado Hummus
Vegan Refried Bean Dip
- 2 15 oz cans of low-sodium pinto beans drained and rinsed well (see NOTE)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons 150g medium heat runny/smooth salsa (I used Trader Joe's)
- 5-10 pickled jalapeno slices I used 8 and found it to be the perfect kick
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspooon coconut sugar or use white but maybe half since it's sweeter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
NOTE: If you prefer to not use canned beans, then just use 3 cups cooked pinto beans, 510g.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, salsa, pickled jalapeno slices, onion powder, garlic powder, coconut sugar and salt. Blend for about 5 minutes, scraping the sides a couple of times during, until completely smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add more salt if needed, which will depend on your beans. If you want it spicier, add more jalapenos.
- If you want it true refried bean style, you can choose to heat up the mashed bean mixture in the microwave a couple of minutes until hot or bake it in a dish at 325°F 15-20 minutes until hot. I honestly loved it straight out of the processor so it was like the Frito Lay bean dip.
- Serve with chips and add extra jalapenos if desired.