Sometimes, the most delicious recipes can be the simplest. You just need the right ingredients. This recipe uses both sweet potatos and yukon gold potatoes....the combo is so delicious. The yukon gold potatoes lend a buttery taste. There are a gazillion potato soup recipes out there....well, here is one more, my version. Super simple, few ingredients and so delicious. Bonus that it is dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free and ready in less than an hour. There is nothing I enjoy eating more than soup!
This soup gets an extra boost of flavor by combining gold yukon potatoes with sweet potatoes. Most people know how good sweet potatoes are for you...but did you also know that yukon gold potatoes are an excellent source of nutrition? Well, here's why I added them to this soup:
- Source of iron (important for energy and it is needed to transfer oxgen throughout the body)
- High in potassium (1 medium potato contains about 770 mg)
- High in Vitamin C (1 medium potato contains about 50% of our daily RDA! Vitamin C is also needed to absorb iron into the body)
- Fat-free (yippee!)
- Boosts collagen levels....collagen is necessary for youthful skin. The more collagen, the less visible wrinkles.
Yay for healthy soup that tastes amazing, thick and creamy!
Let me know what you think of this Vegan Creamy Sweet 'n' Gold Potato Soup! Drop me feedback below after you make it! Tag me on Instagram with your photo using my hashtag #thevegan8 in your caption, so it's saved to my page and I don't miss it!
- 1¾ lbs peeled and chopped yukon gold (yellow) potatoes, about 5 heaping cups (plus a couple extra for toasting as garnish)
- 2 lbs peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, about 6 heaping cups
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (1 cup, 150 g)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (about a tablespoon, add more if desired)
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼-1/2 cup nutritional yeast, depending on preference
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt, to taste
- Optional: chopped green onions for garnish
- Peel and chop both potatoes into ½ inch cubes and mince the garlic. Place in a large pot.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir well. Bring to a boil and once boiling, turn to low and cover. Cook for 20-25 mins, or until the potatoes are completely tender. Blend with an immersion blender to a creamy consistency. Or you can use a regular blender, just don't blend it too long into a complete liquid. Taste and add any more salt if desired.
- Chop up a couple more yukon gold potatoes and broil them until golden brown (5-10 mins) and garnish the soup with them. I love the texture it added. I also garnished with green onions. So good!