Say whattttttt?! Barbeque pesto?? YES. Forget traditional basil pesto, I have created a new kind of pesto.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love classic pesto, but I love barbeque sauce and the idea of creating a pesto/sauce out of homemade barbeque sauce sounded really good to me. Guess what…it is delicious and I’m sharing with you today a few different ways to use it. It is so versatile!
A little sweet, a little spicy, a little tang and totally delicious. BBQ sauce is one of my very favorite things in the whole universe. It just tastes good on anything.
Serve it as a dip for potato fries or even veggies. Spread it on toast and add some chopped avocado.
Or, my husband’s favorite….as a pizza sauce! It is soooo good!!!
Go make this Oil-Free Vegan Barbecue Pesto and come back and leave me feedback on here. Each time you guys make a recipe of mine and leave me feedback, it makes my day!! Also, tag me on Instagram @thevegan8 and also hashtag #thevegan8, so I don’t miss any notifications. Love seeing your photos.
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons dark balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 cup (160g) pinenuts
- Add all of the ingredients, except the pinenuts, to a bowl and whisk really well until completely incorporated. Whisk for a minute or two, as it will thicken as you do this. Set aside.
- Add the pinenuts to a food processor and pulse them to break them up into a coarse meal. Add the prepared barbecue sauce and blend until smooth. If you want it thinner, add a tiny bit more water. Serve any way you like.
- To serve it in poblano peppers, I simply sliced poblano peppers, sprinkled on salt & pepper and roasted them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, just to soften them some, but not totally char them.
- For the potatoes, I cut several red potatoes into wedges, added salt & pepper and roasted them at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until they were very golden brown. No oil needed!
- You could also use it as a pizza sauce, spread it on toast, or thin it out with a little water and use it as a dressing!
*Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free