We still have a few cool days lingering, so this is my last soup recipe I’ll be sharing for the season. I absolutely love ginger and had some I needed to use up. I was craving soup this past weekend, so I decided to make a soup infused with ginger and vegetables I already had stocked in my fridge. Let me tell you…this is one of the best soups I’ve had. It’s not a thick, creamy type of soup. It is a hearty soup with an intense broth flavor. The broth is everything, so use a high quality, strong broth. It’s the kind of broth that warms your whole body.
It’s so good, I just wanted to drink it. I’m totally serious. It’s full of a strong ginger flavor, aromatic garlic and a spicy kick.
I kept it very simple…not too many spices or ingredients, yet the flavor is incredible. Adding chickpeas, sweet potatoes and kale make it filling, hearty and incredibly healthy.
Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
A hearty soup that is full of quality nutrients and bursting with rich flavor. Perfect for the cooler days.
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I recommend Kitchen Basics, it is a strong dark broth that isn't watered down. A quality rich broth is needed here)
- 2 15 oz cans organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 4 extra large garlic cloves, minced (two tablespoons minced garlic)
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, minced (don't skimp on this!)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 heaping cups fresh kale
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder-optional, but gives it a nice kick
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (the broth I used has no sodium in it, so you may need less salt, start out with 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Prepare the sweet potatoes, onion, ginger and garlic.
In a large pot, add the broth, onion, ginger, garlic, sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and turn to simmer for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
Add the beans (drained & rinsed), kale, coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Return the lid and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Taste and add any more salt, if desired.
Gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free
All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by The Vegan 8.